The new Canada Digital Adoption Plan, also known as the CDAP Grant, is a great way to boost your business in 2024. This free grant, available to Canadian businesses, can help you improve your digital presence and generate more customers and leads.
In this article, we will tell you all about this grant, how it can be used, and how it can benefit your business. If you need help determining your eligibility criteria or have questions on how the CDAP Grant can be used, contact us today.
Table of Contents
What is the Canada Digital Adoption Plan or the CDAP Grant?
The Canada Digital Adoption Plan (CDAP) is a governmental initiative aimed at encouraging the digital transformation of Canadian small and medium-sized businesses. By providing grants, advisory services, and resources, the program supports businesses in adopting new digital technologies, enhancing their online presence, and implementing e-commerce solutions to improve competitiveness and growth.
To find out more about the grant, visit the official CDAP website. The program details and eligibility criteria might change.
Two CDAP Streams
The Canada Digital Adoption Plan (CDAP) is structured around two distinct grant streams, each designed to address different aspects of digital transformation for Canadian businesses.
These streams are the Grow Your Business Online grant and the Boost Your Business Technology grant. While both aim to facilitate digital adoption, they target different needs and scales of operation depending on your business size.
Grow Your Business Online Grant
This stream is tailored to help small businesses establish or enhance their online presence. It offers micro-grants that businesses can use to adopt e-commerce solutions, making it easier for them to reach customers, sell products online, and grow their markets.
The focus is on helping SMEs that are either making initial steps towards digital commerce or looking to expand their existing online operations. It’s particularly beneficial for businesses that have primarily operated offline and are seeking to navigate the digital marketplace. This grant offers $2,400 in funds to help you enhance your digital presence.
Boost Your Business Technology Grant
The Boost Your Business Technology grant is designed for businesses looking to undertake more significant digital transformations. This grant supports businesses in adopting sophisticated digital technologies and processes that improve productivity, enhance customer experiences, and drive growth.
It covers a broader spectrum of digital adoption, from advanced software implementations to cybersecurity improvements and digital skills training for employees. This stream is more comprehensive, offering larger grants and advisory services to help businesses plan and execute complex digital transformation strategies.
This grant offers $15,000 in funding, but that funding must be used for the development of a digital adoption plan.
CDAP Grant Eligibility
The grant eligibility depends on a few factors and differs based on the stream you are pursuing.
Grow Your Business Online Grant Eligibility
The eligibility criteria for the Grow Your Business Online Grant, part of the Canada Digital Adoption Plan (CDAP), are designed to ensure that the grant supports small businesses that can benefit from enhancing their online presence.
To check your eligibility, you can use this free assessment tool from the Government of Canada. To be eligible for this grant, a business must:
- Operate as a for-profit entity, including social enterprises and co-operatives that generate income.
- Hold registration or incorporation within the legal business framework.
- Engage directly with consumers, selling goods or services to end-users.
- Employ at least one individual aside from the owner, or report a minimum of $30,000 in annual revenue in the latest tax year.
- Commit to developing and maintaining a digital adoption strategy for six months.
- Is open to participating in follow-up surveys, sharing insights about the digital adoption journey, and consenting to public acknowledgment as a recipient of the CDAP Grant.
However, certain business models do not meet the eligibility criteria for CDAP grants, including:
- Corporate chains, franchises, or entities registered as charities.
- Participants in multi-level marketing schemes.
- Brokerage operations, including but not limited to real estate, investment advisories, and insurance agencies.
- Businesses primarily focused on online reselling or drop-shipping that depend on third-party suppliers for their inventory.
- Wholesale, distribution, and manufacturing businesses, except those selling directly to consumers.
Boost Your Business Technology Eligibility
The Boost Your Business Technology grant targets small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) seeking to undertake significant digital transformations. You can use the grant assessment tool to see if your business qualifies.
A business seeking to apply for this grant must meet the following criteria:
- Your enterprise must be Canadian-owned, showcasing national pride and business operations.
- It can be a sole proprietorship or a business incorporated according to Canadian or provincial/territorial laws, emphasizing legal compliance and structure.
- The business should operate for profit, underlining its commercial nature.
- Employ a workforce of 1 to 499 individuals, fitting the profile of small to medium-sized enterprises.
- Demonstrate financial robustness with annual revenues of at least $500,000 but not exceeding $100 million in any one of the past three tax years, ensuring the business’s substantial economic activity and scalability potential.
For a detailed understanding of the requirements, refer to the complete eligibility criteria outlined in the program guide.
Embark on Your Digital Transformation in Four Simple Steps, or contact us for assistance:
- Start by Creating Your Account: Begin your journey with a straightforward account setup.
- Confirm Your Eligibility: Use our tool to verify your business meets all the necessary criteria.
- Develop Your Digital Adoption Plan: Collaborate with a digital advisor to craft a strategic plan tailored to your business’s digital growth.
- Submit Your Claim: Complete the process by submitting your claim to secure your grant funding.
What the CDAP Grant can be used for
The Canada Digital Adoption Plan (CDAP) grants, through its two main streams—Grow Your Business Online and Boost Your Business Technology—provide funding to Canadian small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) for a variety of purposes aimed at enhancing their digital capabilities and presence. Here’s how the grants can be used under each stream:
How to use the Grow Your Business Online Grant
This grant is designed to help small businesses enhance their online presence and engage in e-commerce. The funds can be used for:
- Developing or upgrading an e-commerce website.
- Implementing online ordering systems.
- Purchasing and setting up digital tools and subscriptions that support e-commerce activities.
- Training staff to manage online sales, digital marketing strategies, and e-commerce platforms.
- Improving social media presence and online marketing.
- Enhancing customer service online, such as through chat support or customer relationship management (CRM) systems.
How to use the Boost Your Business Technology Grant Use
This grant focuses on more comprehensive digital transformations within SMEs. The funding can support a wide range of activities, including:
- Adopting new digital technologies to improve products, services, or operations.
- Implementing advanced software solutions for business processes, such as inventory management, accounting, or project management.
- Enhancing cybersecurity measures to protect business and customer data.
- Digital skills training for employees to effectively use new technologies.
- Developing or upgrading IT infrastructure to support digital transformation, including hardware and software upgrades.
- Consulting services from digital advisors to identify opportunities for digital growth and create a digital adoption plan.
* It is worth noting that the Boost Your Business Technology grant is mainly focused on providing a digital adoption plan that can be used as a blueprint to further develop and grow a business through the BDC 0% interest loan. To find out more about the Business Development Bank of Canada’s $100,000 interest-free loan, check out their official website.
Under both streams, the goal is to help businesses leverage digital technologies to improve their competitiveness, reach new markets, and streamline their operations. The specific uses of the grants are guided by the objectives of each stream, ensuring that businesses can address their unique digital adoption needs effectively.
How Clio Can Help
Clio Websites is already working with several businesses to boost their online presence using a CDAP grant. We can help by advising you which of these grants would suit your business best, and what they can be used for. This is a great opportunity to get some free funding from the Government of Canada, and you have nothing to lose by applying for this grant.
Clio Websites is a full-service website design and marketing company located in Calgary. We have loads of experience with responsive website design, website maintenance, WordPress development and support, and SEO. Clio offers free consultations and free website evaluations and we receive glowing reviews from our clients.
Clio is always available and happy to answer any questions about the CDAP Grant so don’t hesitate to get in touch with us if you need help.
What sets us apart
Clio offers interest-free payment plans and we receive glowing reviews from our clients. Here are a few things that set us apart from the competition. Clio Websites:
- Offers competitive pricing and flexible payment options
- Is a premier web design company with WordPress development expertise
- Has years of experience helping small businesses achieve their online goals
- Spends the time to understand your business needs and requirements
- Has a very high customer satisfaction and retention rate (over 98%)
- Prides ourselves on the quality of service we provide to each and every client
- Is responsive and won’t leave you hanging for days when you need support the most
- Creates custom websites for each project to separate you from your competition
What is the CDAP Grant?
The Canada Digital Adoption Plan (CDAP) is a governmental initiative aimed at encouraging the digital transformation of Canadian small and medium-sized businesses by providing grants, advisory services, and resources.
What does CDAP stand for?
CDAP stands for Canada Digital Adoption Plan.
What are the eligibility criteria for the CDAP Grant?
The eligibility depends on which stream a business is applying for. Generally, the business must be Canadian based and have some revenue in the past fiscal year. For more information, check out the details in our article.
How to apply for CDAP?
Businesses interested in applying for the Canada Digital Adoption Plan (CDAP) can follow these general steps:
1. Determine Eligibility: Visit the official CDAP website or use the CDAP grant assessment tool to check if your business meets the eligibility criteria for either the Grow Your Business Online grant or the Boost Your Business Technology grant.
2. Select the Appropriate Stream: Decide which CDAP grant stream best suits your business needs—either focusing on enhancing your online presence or undertaking a comprehensive digital transformation.
3. Prepare Your Application: Gather all necessary documentation and information required for the application. This may include business registration details, financial statements, and a clear plan for how you intend to use the grant.
4. Submit Application: Follow the instructions on the CDAP website to submit your application online. Ensure all sections are completed accurately and all required documents are attached.
5. Consult with a Digital Advisor (if applicable): For the Boost Your Business Technology grant, part of the application process involves working with a digital advisor to develop a digital adoption plan. Contact Clio Websites for more information.